The Village of Charlwood
Charlwood had a modest prosperity from open cast iron mining which existed from Saxon times until the beginning of the 18th century when the deep mining of iron and coal in the Midlands put an end to the Wealden iron industry.
Around 1080 the building of Charlwood church was started. The original church was a simple three-
Around 1280 the church was enlarged by adding a new structure on the south side of the nave. This stopped at the western edge of the tower and was used as a side chapel as beyond the present pulpit is a well-
Around 1310 a window was let into the Norman north wall by the tower. Some twenty years later the Norman apse beyond the tower was replaced by a larger chancel.
In 1480 the church gained its final shape when a chantry chapel was built to the east of the 13th century aisle and arches were cut into the intervening wall to open up the building. The Norman west door and window above (which contains fragments of mediaeval glass) were rebuilt and a porch added to the south door, which still has the remains of a holy water stoup.
Until the extension was built this year, the only post-
Around 1858 an organ was installed, necessitating a reorganisation of the internal layout. The music gallery was removed; the nave and the chancel were relocated from the north side to the south and the old chancel was made into the vestry. As the pulpit was in the only position to command a view of the whole congregation, the pews to the front and east were set to face each other.
Charlwood church contains two features of national importance – its group of wall paintings, dating from the 13th century and its mediaeval screen.
St Nicholas Church