The eminent Victorian painter and designer was involved in the design of the East Window and others of the Stained Glass windows in Emmanuel Church.
He studied at the Royal Academy Schools from 1854, and became chief designer at Powell and Sons, a stained glass maker, in 1863 where he fulfilled more than 300 commissions, many for American clients.
As a painter, he excelled in drapery, producing cold-faced figure subjects close in spirit to the work of Rossetti. He visited India in 1871, and in 1872 and much later in 1907 went to Egypt, painting a series of watercolours and illustrations on modern Indian and ancient Egyptian themes respectively.
As well as stained glass, painting and illustration, he also produced some sculpture and carving, frescos, and enamelwork.
His best known painting is 'The Meeting of Dante and Beatrice' (1883) which can be found in the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool.
However, Holiday's life’s work lay in the field of Stained Glass and he continued to provide designs until 1926. His windows are to be found throughout the English Churches, in Wales, Scotland and abroad, especially in the United States where his glass was very popular in the last decades of the 19th century.
His glass in the 1890’s was very colourful and attractive, his emerald greens, purples, pinks and golds providing a fresh change from the more restricted palettes of the other artists of the time. Examples of his work will be found at Worcester College - Oxford, St Mary Magdalene - Paddington and at Casterton in Cumbria, Fylingdale in Yorkshire, Summerfield School in Oxford and St Michael’s Church, in Lewes, Sussex.
Perhaps the greatest of his legacy to the stained glass field are the Brunel Memorial Window in Westminster Abbey, the West Window to Southwark Cathedral and the Great Rose Window at St. George’s, Catford in South London. There is good Stained Glass by him in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Other examples are in American churches, for example the Church of St Thomas, Washington DC, and the Memorial to General Lee in St Paul's, Richmond Va.